SORT BY Relevancy
While we have clear data on murders from gun violence, no one seems to know how many Americans are shot – and survive – every year. In fact, the government’s own numbers seem to conflict on the matter.
How can this be? And why has no one tried to resolve the difference?
Lois Beckett explains that doctors and researchers have been pushing for clear numbers on gun injuries since 1989. “But what’s happened over that time is the politics of gun research, the politics of guns in America, are so divided and so fierce that even the effort to count the number of people injured by guns is incredibly political,” she says.
Each year, more than 20,000 children and youth under age 20 are killed or injured by firearms in the United States.1 Thousands of young people are shot by peers, family members, or strangers, either intentionally or unintentionally. Thousands more use guns to attempt suicide, and these attempts prove successful more often than suicides attempted by other means.2 Countless other children and youth, though not injured or killed themselves, are survivors of gun violence, scarred by the effects of such violence in their homes, schools, or communities. Although children and youth are often victimized by gun violence, they also can become perpetrators, using guns to kill or maim others.
What is the answer to keeping guns out of the hands of our children?
Let's talk about it Wednesday night at 8pm on DPRADIOXL.
Eighty-two people were shot in Chicago over the July 4th weekend. Fourteen of those people died. Most of the victims were Black and Latino men.
Dr. Roger A. Mitchell has made it his personal crusade to put an end to the senseless violence that consumes far too many sons and brothers, daughters and sisters, and that lays waste to entire communities. Named by Mayor Vincent Gray in Washington, DC as Chief Medical Examiner earlier this year after a stint as Regional Medical Examiner in New Jersey, Dr. Mitchell is breathing life into his unique profession of forensic pathology by sharing vital information with communities and invigorating a movement that had lost its focus. He talks to us about his heavy charge as Chief Medical Examiner, about his mission to save Black lives, and about his forthcoming memoir, The Price of Freedom: A Son's Journey.
Host Allison R. Brown is a civil rights attorney and the President of Allison Brown Consulting (ABC), which creates racial equity plans and promotes racial equity, particularly in education.
The Aftermath of Violence: Trauma & Abuse
Harris County Precint 7 Domestic Violence Deputy Program
5290 Griggs Road, Houston, TExas 77021
24 hour dispatch 713-643-6602
Victims Services 713-643-66773
Did you miss last month's special on “Gun Violence in the Black Community”, where we discussed the two year anniversary of the death of Trayvon Martin, Black on black crime, new gun laws, stop and frisk, and many other issues plaguing our people? If so, tune into “The Dedan Tolbert Show” TONIGHT at 9:00pm EST for a special rebroadcast. Listen 7 nights a week, 365 days a year by calling 646 200 0366 or online worldwide at www.dedantolbertshow.com... “REAL Radio that Matters”.
Part 2 of 3: Originally Aired April 21, 2013
Dianne Linderman continues talking about the recent Boston Marathon bombings – do incidents like this justify stricter gun control laws? Why is it that law-abiding citizens have to be the ones to give up their firearms, why doesn't the government go after violent gangs, asking them to give up their weapons?
Dianne speaks with a caller about the use of auxiliary police force (volunteers) and why the police officers would actually be against receiving the extra help.
Find out more about Dianne Linderman on her website: http://www.everythingthatmattersradio.com/
This week on The Weekly Pulse with Ambro, the topic is gun violence and mental illness. Host Ambrosha Angel breaks it down and discusses how gun violence and mental illness are linked, why does it happen, and what can be done to prevent it. This is one show that will surely have you talking the next day. Taking your calls on this important topic! We want to hear from YOU!
Gun Violence is on the rise and will get much worse. The real issue is the motives and the cause of the mental problems behind the violence. The Health authorities either know the truth and choose to ignore the real causes, or they are ignorant and incompitent.
We will explore real solutions to a real problem, The neuro toxins from common medical procedures and toxic foods are contributing to brain damage and specifically the frontal lobe which is involved in impulse control.
You will learn ways to avoid brain damage and to heal damaged brains, and there by protect our population.
We are going to explore gun violence in Chicago and other places in the US. Is gun violence genocide? Is it a conspiracy? If the answers are jobs and education how do we accomplish this....the time for talk is done!!! What do we do with the children at the border and the other millions of Immigrants!!! Are we really picking on President Obama worse than we picked on Bill Clinton or George Bush.
GUN Control are laws or policies that regulate the manufacture, sale, transfer, possession, modification, or use of firearms. They vary greatly around the world, but the big question is will the gun control laws we have in place now really stop the violence? Or is this more of a mental issue? Join us this Tuesday as we talk to experts and go deep into this topic. To talk or listen to host call (646)595-2490 or Vist us @www.realtalkrobert.com
Guest George Fisher joins Host Dan Bimrose for a discussion on the America's desensitization to Gun Violence in the wake of the Ford Hood shootings and the media's insatiable coverage of the downed Malaysian airliner. They also talk about the 7.1 million Obamacare sign-ups and single payer healthcare.
George Fisher is a former news producer and talk show host. George is the host of the George Fisher Show. He is a writer, blogger and progressive activist. George successfully predicted the 2012 presidential election with 100% accuracy. George has been on several national morning talk shows and has spoken out against the national Tea Party movement. Since 2012, George has written a book that will be published at the end of 2014–early 2015. Find George on Facebook and Twitter.
Excellence in Progressive Radio. Join us for our 30 minute progressive politics news update. A daily dose of politics and the Liberal Fix to fit your busy schedule.
As always, we offer news, commentary and analysis important to progressives and liberals across America. This is a must-add to your can't-miss directory of Progressive Podcasts or Liberal Podcasts.
If you are interested in being a guest and for any other inquiries or comments concerning the show please contact Naomi Minogue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Liberal Fix Website
Liberal Fix Facebook
Liberal Fix Twitter
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (83 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (61 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (43 chatters)
- The Portal (26 chatters)
- thelordshour (22 chatters)
- SHRAonair (17 chatters)
- susun weed (17 chatters)
- FFToolbox (15 chatters)
- HOV Radio (10 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (9 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (9 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (8 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (8 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (8 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (7 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (7 chatters)
- TruthRadioNetwork (7 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (6 chatters)
- Hidden Wisdom Radio (6 chatters)
- Native Trailblazers (6 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (6 chatters)
- Sports Card Live (6 chatters)
- Omega Man (5 chatters)
- SAGE Radio (4 chatters)
- Texas Conflict Coach (4 chatters)
- Rick Moran (4 chatters)
- Divine Goddess Radio (4 chatters)
- Fins Radio (4 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (4 chatters)
- The Yehudah Project (4 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (4 chatters)
- FuRbAbY AnD FrIeNdS (3 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (3 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (3 chatters)
- BC Interruption Radio (3 chatters)
- 64403 (3 chatters)
- Body of Christ (3 chatters)
- NewMusicInferno (3 chatters)
- Pit Bulletin Legal News (3 chatters)
- Marjorie Cole (3 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (2 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (2 chatters)
- MKSPCG (2 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (2 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (2 chatters)
- Real Talk Radio17 (2 chatters)
- SpeakingXOut (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- Bill Murray (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Cynde Meyer (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- Entertainment Zone Radio (2 chatters)
- thedean (2 chatters)
- The Road Less Traveled (2 chatters)
- The Love Channel Show (2 chatters)
- Twin Radio (2 chatters)
- Two Moms on a Borough (2 chatters)
- The Madden Voice (1 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (1 chatters)
- WitchTalk Radio0 (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- YPI Consultants LLC (1 chatters)
- Turn 5 LIVE (1 chatters)
- ElijahFireRadio (1 chatters)
- EMONSTA (1 chatters)
- Fire Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (1 chatters)
- G220 Radio (1 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (1 chatters)
- JakeyandTheAce (1 chatters)
- Jeff Coats X Pitboss Waterfowl (1 chatters)
- Diane Grimble Ministries Friends (1 chatters)
- carsonscorner (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (1 chatters)
- BonaFide Talk (1 chatters)
- A Christian Perspective (1 chatters)
- 4th Inches Show (1 chatters)
- 63289 (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Grace View (1 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (1 chatters)
- ROAD2STARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (1 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (1 chatters)
- Positively Incorrect (1 chatters)
- Open Talk with Les Jackson (1 chatters)
- May We Help You Radio Show (1 chatters)
- MBN (1 chatters)
- Be The Light Now (0 chatters)
- Fulfilled Dynamics (0 chatters)