SORT BY Relevancy
When we last spoke to Jason McCarthy in April, his Goruck Challenge still was flying under the radar. His all-night, no-set-time event, where participants wear weighted backpacks and take orders from a Special Operations veteran as they maneuver through urban areas, has become one of the more popular endurance events. Though limited to 30 people per "class," Goruck now stages challenges in four to six cities per weekend. Not bad for an event that grew out of a need McCarthy had to market his $295 Goruck packs modeled after the rucks he used while on duty in Afghanistan. We talk with McCarthy about the growth of the Goruck Challenge in this episode of The Fitness Buff.
The Goruck Challenge might be the most formidable of the many obstacle races that have sprung up in the last two years. Created by Green Beret Jason McCarthy as a way to field test his Goruck rucksacks, the race and the rucks are inspired by his military training and experience. We talk to Jason in this episode about what it takes to get through the grueling Goruck Challenge, which typically begins around midnight, last up to 12 hours, and feature such team-building tasks as carrying 1,000-pound logs through urban areas.
I spoke with Spartan Athlete Director Robert Coble when he was here in Georgia in early March. We talked about what an Athlete Director does and how Spartan is improving the points system for 2013. He also told me what he could about Spartan athlete contracts.
Before Sophie Pollitt-Cohen became the Director at GORUCK, she was an intern for TV shows, was published in a bunch of cool magazines, wrote a book, and worked at Tough Mudder. I thought it would be cool to have her on the show and talk about her interesting past, along with the future of GORUCK.
Warrior Talk with GI Jenn - GORUCK's WAR STORIES & need help to save a VETERAN
We have Garrett - Lead Cadre & Army Special Forces: Iraq, Asia, Pacific Rim from GORUCK to talk about WAR STORIES & FREE BEER... War Stories and Free Beer is a two hour event in which four veterans will each share a story from their deployment(s), along with their personal photographs. The goal of our event is to bridge the civilian-military-gap and break down some language barriers - in an atmosphere anchored by a universal love of beer.
Then we will have Will - Recoil Rifle Slings back on to delve into a serious medical situation with one of his VETERANS... This is such an important story.. WE need all of your help to SAVE this VETERAN!!!
Join us for another fun filled hour or so of fun filled Motor City stories, important information and cycling insights you may have NEVER thought of. Stuff is happening in Detroit and if you want to know about it just get a listen to this. We have a special gift to give away so be ready to answer some stupid questions.
THIS JUST IN: Special guest visit from BTT's own Adventure Racer Jim Vreeland. Ever wanted to do a Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder or even the baddest boot camp on the planet? Join us for this episode.
This Week in Obstacle Racing
September 17, 2012 10:00am EST
I just ran the Mud Crusade here outside of Atlanta. I was able interview Brandon, the marketing director, shortly after I finished. I loved this race, they are doing everything right. Listen to learn more.
Next I will speak with Keith Jolly from S.E.R.E. Together we will find out the difference between a GORUCK, a S.E.R.E, and a SUCK.
I will be also be talking to Rob Dickens from Rugged Maniac. Its another race that I have yet to do that has gotten solid reviews.
All that, plus John Paul Jones is set to call in to give us a brief update from the Epic Racing Arena. Looks like they have a date and a venue, let's find out more!
Remember we always take your calls and chat questions live.
This episode can also be downloaded on itunes or from the website anytime after the initial broadcast.
This Week In Obstacle Racing
Monday, September 3rd, 2012 8:30pm EST (5:30pm PST)
This week's episode we will speak with Stuart Kaul from Hero Rush. Hero Rush has a firefighter themed obstacle course which differs greatly from all the "designed by special forces" talk going around these days. I am curious to hear how different they are, and what kind of experience they provide.
We will also talk to Cadre Devin from GORUCK Challenge. A large percentage of obstacle racers I talk to have done a Go Ruck and I want to find out why. Let's learn about what it is they mean when they talk about "Good Livin". I have not been convinced so far to do one yet, and maybe this conversation will change my mind.
All this, plus we take your live calls and questions and you never know what special guests may stop by.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (499 chatters)
- Annahilation (46 chatters)
- sherrytalkradio (42 chatters)
- Hunger Games Fireside Chat (36 chatters)
- Curious Times (28 chatters)
- thelordshour (28 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (26 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (24 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (23 chatters)
- Free Thinking Radio (13 chatters)
- Universal Radio (11 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (9 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (8 chatters)
- RRS Radio (8 chatters)
- Tens or Chops (8 chatters)
- Vinny Bond (7 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (7 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (7 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (6 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio Mass Media (6 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (6 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (5 chatters)
- Jay King Network (4 chatters)
- The Wheel Men (4 chatters)
- The Lotus Place (4 chatters)
- SupermanHomepage (4 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (4 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (3 chatters)
- Vibration Radio (3 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (3 chatters)
- Main Street Universe (3 chatters)
- Quagmire America (3 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (3 chatters)
- CommonSenseConversations (3 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (3 chatters)
- DavetheMystic (2 chatters)
- Random Brain Activity (2 chatters)
- Prophet Kyle T Miller (2 chatters)
- POET UNPLUGGED (2 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (2 chatters)
- Harold Sutton (2 chatters)
- The NTuned Show (2 chatters)
- SURN Host (2 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (2 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (1 chatters)
- RXCX Anderson (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- The Seika Network (1 chatters)
- Vince in the Bay (1 chatters)
- Truedalyph radio (1 chatters)
- Hussle Made Muzik (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase0 (1 chatters)
- Linda Mooney (1 chatters)
- manofgod7 (1 chatters)
- BarbShaman (1 chatters)
- Destruindo Fortalezas (1 chatters)
- Dragon vs Dragon (1 chatters)
- garold Vallie (1 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- FrmHsPerspectiv (1 chatters)