SORT BY Relevancy
SHOW NOTES: In the MYTH WARRIORS™ series we are targeting ideas to begin to assess whether they are credible or not. The topic for this episode is, “Taking college courses online is easy!”
This is a myth. If you already have completed one or more college degrees, it is a myth yet you have a higher probability of success with this modality of college classes (as college classes are not easy whether online or on campus).
Is it “true” that many people are taking online college courses? Yes.
“According to Columbia University’s Community College Research Center, for example, about seven million students — about a third of all those enrolled in college — are enrolled in what the center describes as traditional online courses.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/opinion/the-trouble-with-online-college.html?_r=0)
If everyone is doing it (i.e., it is popular), it must be easy, right? Wrong.
“Students preferred direct instruction if they expected a course to be difficult, singling out math and science [...]. They also preferred a face-to-face setting when studying subjects they considered interesting or important, especially if the class was in their major. Many of the students said they learned more when the instructor is present.” (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/25/local/la-me-ln-study-online-20130425)
“[C]ourses delivered solely online may be fine for highly skilled, highly motivated people, but they are inappropriate for struggling students who make up a significant portion of college enrollment and who need close contact with instructors to succeed.[…]” (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/opinion/the-trouble-with-online-college.html?_r=0)
Happy New Year everyone!
Below are topics that will be covered in today's episode:
Latest Work @ Home Jobs can be found on Rat Race Rebellion
Online Courses for cheap at udemy. I heard about this place through the "Learning HTML and CSS With the Become A Web Developer from Scratch" article from Cult of Mac.The course usually costs $199 but was $39 this past week. Definitely worth it. The course is through udemy which is an organization that provides courses online anytime, anywhere for a decent price to learn about topics from web development and more. Check them out and download the app through your Google Play or App Store.
Yeti Micorphone from Best Buy - I purchased the Yeti Microphone from Best Buy the day after Christmas for $145 that day. Pretty good microphone for recording songs, podcasting and radio shows.
Dr. Mary Bold
April 12, 2014
Mary Bold, Executive Vice President and Chief Education Officer of Accreditrust, LLC
The former academic dean of a graduate institution, Mary has worked in online education launching online degrees at the master's and doctoral levels. Her expertise in accreditation and outcomes assessment included oversight of national certification of college programs for a non-profit professional organization.
Mary continues to work with a variety of higher ed institutions in assessment, institutional effectiveness, and development of online programs. A textbook and journal author, Mary also contributes regularly to international and national conferences in educational technology, assessment, and higher education. Workshops and presentations include Campus Technology Conferences, EDUCAUSE, IUPUI Assessment institutes, SACS Annual Meetings, Sloan-C Annual Conferences, Sloan-C Emerging Technology.
Accreditrust’s mission, as an independent third party, is to accelerate trust among digital credential stakeholders globally through its innovative trust solutions and validation mark. Accreditrust offers customers unprecedented convenience in validating credentials that represent life-long achievements, certifications and endorsements.
This episode is part of our EDUCATORS’ EDEN™ series wherein we explore the paradise that the most passionate, creative and committed educators create for themselves, their students, peers, administrations and institutions!
I have taught around 350 3 - credit hour course equivalents over the past 17 years. Whew! I have taught associate degree, bachelors degree, and graduate degree level courses. I have taught at public highly selective institutions, at private institutions, at for profit institutions, at open access degree programs, in lecture halls with hundreds of students in a single class and online with smaller classes. I have also mentored new faculty and coached existing faculty in their classes. I am not even including all of the adult education I have provided as a corporate trainer to organizations around the world! I am excited to discuss this specific episode topic of, "Teaching college courses online is easy!…NOT!”
The stereotype of an online college professor who has no commute to work and is able to lounge around their home while “teaching” intermittently is wildly inaccurate. The reality is that the technology requires that online educators commit to an entire additional area of subject matter expertise (software, understanding of hardware, customization of content and delivery via rapidly changing software systems). The traditional concept of teaching during “class” is upended with a “class” that is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is combined with the desire for instant gratification that many of us have due to the technology providing us instant access to what we want places very strenuous demands on the online college educator.
Attracting girls to courses in STEM subjects - Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics - is a serious issue across the United States. Dr. Angela Hinson Quick, Deputy Commissioner of Public Instruction for the State of North Carolina conducted research to examine patterns of female participation in STEM courses in North Carolina over a 5 year period. Join us to hear the surprising results of her research.
in Self Help
Join Positive about Change show host Kathryn Yarborough as she chats with Flowing with Change contributing member Yoneco Evans about how to create online courses and why. If you're a conscious business owner, coach, or teacher and getting ready to step into online offerings listen in for some tips on how to do this so you can be positive about change.
To find out more about Flowing with Change go to http://FlowingWithChange.com.
To connect with our guest Yoneco Evans, go to http://www.thrivesbs.com/
AK will share with us how she established, markets and delivers her online courses. She will share:
The major benefits of taking online courses The class setup The course technical and setup requirements How to prepare for the unexpected Cancellation policy What class materials should be provided
To see a complete listing of AK's upcoming courses visit:
Congratulations to the persons that are enrolled and set to begin my Introductory-First Phase of my on-line courses on "How To Become a Millionaire".
Also providing information on the assignment for this phase.
Title: Introduction, part 1/A
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (162 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (90 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (28 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (26 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (21 chatters)
- Eric Balkman (20 chatters)
- thelordshour (19 chatters)
- Bellesprit (18 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (17 chatters)
- Bio Individualized Medicine (15 chatters)
- Whispers from Heaven (11 chatters)
- AltCon Radio (10 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (10 chatters)
- Dr DREAM and Laura Eisenhower (9 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (8 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (8 chatters)
- NBPP BLACK POWER RADIO (8 chatters)
- PonytailPatriot (7 chatters)
- HitMan Ministries (7 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (7 chatters)
- Conservative Nation Radio (7 chatters)
- TopSportsReport (7 chatters)
- Bill Murray (6 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (6 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (6 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (6 chatters)
- ParaNation (6 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (5 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (5 chatters)
- onlinewithandrea (5 chatters)
- Marijuana Compassion Common Sense (5 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (5 chatters)
- Goddess Rhonda (5 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (5 chatters)
- Chicago Thunder (5 chatters)
- We Built That Network (5 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (5 chatters)
- The Literary Corner (4 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (4 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (4 chatters)
- HOV Radio (4 chatters)
- Ladies Edition (4 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (4 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (4 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (4 chatters)
- SpinSyndicate Radio (3 chatters)
- SSRN (3 chatters)
- The Captain0 (3 chatters)
- My Little Pony Talk (3 chatters)
- Michael A McFadden (3 chatters)
- Kingdom Kids Radio Network (3 chatters)
- FoReRadio (3 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (3 chatters)
- Arm Wrestling Nation Radio (3 chatters)
- WBAR NYC (3 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (2 chatters)
- Butterfly Evolution (2 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (2 chatters)
- Fire Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (2 chatters)
- MKSPCG (2 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (2 chatters)
- MFW Radio Live (2 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (1 chatters)
- Malone Hype Line (1 chatters)
- May We Help You Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Prophet Laron Matthews (1 chatters)
- The GreenHouse FX (1 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (1 chatters)
- Stickman RADIO (1 chatters)
- Radio Enso (1 chatters)
- Random Brain Activity (1 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (1 chatters)
- patriots united (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase Radio (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- George Ramirez (1 chatters)
- Carole Gold (1 chatters)
- CLNSRadio (1 chatters)
- Cross Walk Talk (1 chatters)
- Time For A Awakening (1 chatters)
- Yo Momma Black (1 chatters)
- Were Alive (1 chatters)
- WordBeat (1 chatters)