SORT BY Relevancy
in Pop Culture
Literally "Costume Play." Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character (usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character).
(usage) There are anime cosplay conventions around the world.
“Costumes are not consent. It’s a phrase you may be hearing a lot lately, and one we need to keep talking about. In the past few weeks, the internet has exploded with women speaking up about the treatment we receive at conventions and online. This isn’t a new problem that has suddenly presented itself. The issues have always been there. What is happening now is we finally feel we are allowed to speak up, that doing so will not result in us being ostracized from our community – because we are now acting as a community, a support structure, to create a safe environment for all costumers and convention goers.”
(Source: www.geeksaresexy.net 2013/04/04)
Yes, we are talking about Comic con and the like, and the amount of harassment dished out to women ( and sometimes men) who enjoy dressing up as their favourite character and joining other like minded fans at conventions. Somehow, dressing as your favourite comic book character has been misconstrued as a license for fans to paw and grope these women while treating them like sexual objects.
Today we will be talking to Sam Maggs weekend editor of the online publication themarysue.com about the problems cosplayers face at these conventions, and how we can raise awareness.
Phone lines will be closed for this show, but you are free to call in and listen on (646)716-6583
Cosplay (???? kosupure?), short for costume play, is a performance art in which participants, called cosplayers, wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character or idea that is usually identified with a unique name. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play.
The many people that do this as a hobby, and then there are many who do this professionally. Others do it to make their designs be seen in an area that is more accepted than others. Today on the show we have Brianna Forrester also known as Hika's Cosplay Design.
She has gone and won a few placements at conventions. Noteable wins are Animania Oct. 2013-Best Craftsmanship: Princess Palantine and Monitacon 2013-First Place in Advandced: Princess Palantine
Her cosplays can be viewed here:
in Pop Culture
On this weeks show we have a roundtable discussion about a blog that has made some noise recently.
Are cosplayers ruining cosplay?
There are many takes on this - both for and against.
Joining us we have Caitlin Crozier and Adriano Ali returning to the show. We also have Bert Celestino making hif first live appearance and totally new appearances from Alex Greenlay and Ted Sali.
We hope you enjoy the show
in Video Games
This week we talk with our good friends at the Delaware Anime Society. We discuss some of their goals, cosplay, Anime movies, popular manga, and events they have in store. If you're a serious Anime or Cosplay fanatic, this episode will be your guiding light. We also talk Call us at (858) 947-1921 to share!
in Pop Culture
Todays episode of Crowbar Radio features a nice little chat with Victoria Cosplay.
To be frank, we chat about EVERYTHING!!!! Beginnings, her blog - Confessions of a Cosplay Girl, Charity work with the Heroes Alliance, the Costuming Family, being a princess, her cats, everything!!!!!
All this and of course we answer the question - WHERE HAVE WE BEEN IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS!!!!
On episode 154 we once again talk about Cosplaying. We have a new panel and talk about conventions coming up.
Co hosts: RamZee & Shai G
Production information: 154 The Cosplay Show part two (8×05) 1/30/14
Cosplay (???? kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play. A broader use of the term "cosplay" applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.
in Pop Culture
Tonight, Jim, Jamie and I welcome our guest Marc B. Lee*, "the man, the myth, the legand", the busiest man on web radio. Marc just pulled off the biggest prestige since "Tesla's Matter Transporter"...by having over 50 science fiction guests on his blogtalkradioshow in the span of 3 hours..one of them called all the way from NZ. And he did it without a "motorman's friend".
We also welcome back Miss Brenna Rhea*, who will along with Marc bounce around our cosplay topic, as well as talking with us about her incredibly hectic and successful schedule, which is why she hasn't popped in her perky little self since the spring.
We'll also begin with the usual STAW segment and give away a few more prizes. If we get more prizes we'll give more away...saavy?
But in general the best science fiction and entertainment news on the interweb, and you don't need a bevy of make-up artists, stylists, and wardrobe consultants! IT's RADIO, DUDES and DUDETTES...
* all professional guests are subject to last minute cancellations....
You have heard it many times, "You shouldn't say anything bad to people who cosplay." But what of those who asked for constructive critism? What about contest?I have even heard people get upset with others because peoplehave given so much praised to a cosplayer as to howa cosplay should be done. Whats going on? Are we not allowed to like what we like? Today Brian Brannon of Deceptive Conceptions Join in on the Conversation
in Pop Culture
We will be talking to Mike Syfritt, who is an active cosplayer, and a part of two cosplay groups, AZA (Arizona Avengers) and JLAz (Justice League of Arizona). He participates in comicons, charity events, and movie premieres on a regular basis.
Mike is an adept prop builder so most of his costumes start with these. He went to the recent Tuscon ComiCon as Doc Ock from the Spider Man franchise, thrilling and frightening fans of all ages.
Join Eric Morse and a panel of surprise guests as they chat about the controversy that has erupted from this year's San Diego ComiCon. Supposedly female guests and cosplayers have had to deal with a lot of unwanted attention which has in some cases erupted in attacks and assaults on both sides with both genders, If anyone is interested in getting involved in the conversation the phone lines will be open.....
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (108 chatters)
- The Portal (35 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (32 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (21 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (18 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (17 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (12 chatters)
- Straitway (12 chatters)
- Living Astrology (9 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (7 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (7 chatters)
- Trek Talking (6 chatters)
- in5d (6 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (5 chatters)
- Omega Man (4 chatters)
- ILLUMINATION (4 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (4 chatters)
- The War Room (4 chatters)
- The Tailgate Show (4 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (3 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (3 chatters)
- Rockin Country Radio (3 chatters)
- FFToolbox (3 chatters)
- fireengineeringtalkradio (3 chatters)
- Frat House Sports (3 chatters)
- Cubanarama (3 chatters)
- CWA Radio (3 chatters)
- Elevate The Soul (3 chatters)
- Entertainment Zone Radio (2 chatters)
- Dr Roger Conley (2 chatters)
- Audrey Russo (2 chatters)
- BLIF NETWORK (2 chatters)
- cathies DistantEchos (2 chatters)
- AtaensicNetworkStation (2 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio brother Lawrence (2 chatters)
- JIMMY SMITH (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (2 chatters)
- The Hereafter Is Now Network (2 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (2 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (2 chatters)
- LyricalForte (2 chatters)
- The Russell Reed Show (2 chatters)
- Twin Radio (2 chatters)
- Two Moms on a Borough (2 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (2 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (2 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Tracey Lee (1 chatters)
- We are TOPS (1 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (1 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (1 chatters)
- The Voice of Leadership (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- Mikeisha (1 chatters)
- MRTALK (1 chatters)
- Life Conversations (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Nature Has All The Answers (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Out and About Town (1 chatters)
- Out Of A Pure Heart (1 chatters)
- Pro Wrestling Torch (1 chatters)
- Sweet Psychic (1 chatters)
- The Bully Effect0 (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- Straight From The E Block (1 chatters)
- ReflectRadio (1 chatters)
- RevBarbara (1 chatters)
- SANDRA WILSON SHOW (1 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (1 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (1 chatters)
- Kissmeimpsychic (1 chatters)
- LA Batchelor (1 chatters)
- Larcher and Lorensen (1 chatters)
- Israelite Heritage (1 chatters)
- Its Real Talk Live (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- Gathering At The Well (1 chatters)
- HIPOLITIX (1 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (1 chatters)
- HOV Radio (1 chatters)
- CrystalClearSpeaks (1 chatters)
- Aubrey Allen Smith (1 chatters)
- Christism with Nadia Khalil Bradley (1 chatters)
- Ebony Empress (1 chatters)
- Edge Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- ElijahFireRadio (1 chatters)
- Its Not Me Its You (0 chatters)
- The Janet Love Show (0 chatters)