Popular in History
the women are good.
Archivist, paleographer and historical researcher Peter Foden joins Jane from the United Kingdom today to talk about using English manorial records to track your colonial American family, whether they were in New England or Virginia, to their roots in England. Peter will discuss what types of records can be found in the manor records, how to use the records, what information can be found in the records, and the challenges in using these records from the 17th and 16th centuries -- including the penmanship and language. (Many of the records are in Latin!)
Peter has worked in local authority archive services in Shropshire and Staffordshire, in education, and in business (the Oxford University Press and Boots the Chemist). He is currently providing archive consultancy services to a stately home, amongst the other freelance activities listed on this website. He is a member of the Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland).
While it isn't an official Laura Ingalls Wilder site, Old World Wisconsin has long impressed Wisconsin's favorite daughter with an annual event. Last year they expanded to an entire month and the month long event returns this year. Come take part in the World of Little House – June 28, 2014 – July 31, 2014 in Eagle, Wisconsin (an easy drive from Milwaukee). Discover events and activities every day and dress as a Laura character to get $2 off your admission. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/calendar/event/2399/the-world-of-little-house Join host Sarah Uthoff and Jennifer VanHaaften of Old World Wisconsin to learn more about the event.
The Slaves Have Names: Ancestors of my Home tells the stories of the people who were enslaved on the plantation where Cumbo-Floyd was raised in Central Virginia. It’s the story of her journey to get to know these extraordinary people and to understand her debt to them as well as our nation’s continued struggles around race and the legacy of slavery.
Andi Cumbo-Floyd is a writer, historian, and genealogist who area of focus is the history and legacy of slavery in the United States. She lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, where she and her husband run a small farm with goats, chickens, and big, fluffy dogs.
Missing Pages of History is a program that seeks to be a voice for the various underserved communities and people. It is a bi-weekly program that comes on Saturdays Noon (12 PM) and discuss currrent events, hot topics, things you should know and history that have been omitted for the "so called" history books. Come and join us as we attempt to fill in our "Missing Pages of HIstory.
the women are good.
Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century
Dorothy Roberts, an acclaimed scholar of race, gender and the law, joined the University of Pennsylvania as its 14th Penn Integrates Knowledge Professor with a joint appointment in the Department of Sociology and the Law School where she also holds the inaugural Raymond Pace and Sadie Tanner Mosell Alexander chair. Her pathbreaking work in law and public policy focuses on urgent contemporary issues in health, social justice, and bioethics, especially as they impact the lives of women, children and African-Americans. Her major books include Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century (New Press, 2011); Shattered Bonds: The Color of Child Welfare (Basic Books, 2002), and Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty (Pantheon, 1997). She is the author of more than 80 scholarly articles and book chapters, as well as a co-editor of six books on such topics as constitutional law and women and the law.
Join Angela Walton-Raji host for a discussion with African American co-authors (The Memory Keepers), Harris Bailey, Jr., Bernice Bennett, Ellen Butler, Ethel Dailey and Vincent Sheppard of their collaborate book Our Ancestors, Our Stories
You will find in Our Ancestors, Our Stories an historical overview of life and events in South Carolina, and particularly Edgefield, and a compilation of five unique stories depicting the discovery of the African American experience.
Don Eckerle of the German Genealogy Group (GGG) and John Martino of the Italian Genealogy Group (IGG) join Jane this morning to talk about the mammouth indexing project their groups took on when they decided to tackle the New York City vital records -- and then some. Don and John will discuss what records they have done, what records they intend to do, and what the differences in their groups' databases are.
Author Robert Charles Anderson, FASG, joins Jane this morning to talk about his latest book hot off the press entitled Elements of Genealogical Analysis. Bob will discuss this genealogical methodology approach that he has used for 30 years in his work on the Great Migration Study Project. He'll tell us what we can find in the book and how it can help us in our genealogy research.
Order the book here: http://www.americanancestors.org/Product.aspx?id=29383
Today the manager of the ProGen Study Groups, Angela Packer McGhie, joins Jane to talk about the groups and the book on which the study group is based: Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians.
Join AJ Jacobs on today's show to find out about the Global Family Reunion, which will be held on 6 June 2015 at the New York Hall of Science, on the grounds of the World’s Fair. Journalist, lecturer, human guinea pig and author of four New York Times bestsellers, AJ is also host of the biggest, most inclusive and most fascinating family reunion in history. He will tell us what's in store for all attendees -- including talks by celebrities, scientists and comedians.
The event will be featured in a documentary by Morgan Spurlock (Supersize Me).
Jan Alpert, the chair of the Records Preservation and Access Committe (RPAC), joins Jane this evening to talk about the organization and its mission to preserve open access to records around the country. Jan will discuss the Genealogists' Declaration of Rights, which was announced at the NGS Conference in Richmond, Virginia in May; what it means to genealogists as records are increasingly being closed to the public; and what we can do to help keep records available to us and maintain privacy as the same time. She'll tell us where the current hot spots around the country are.
As Carl Sagan said, "You have to know the past to understand the present." History has shaped our nation's character, and our collective strength is measured in how we came together during our most challenging moments: the Civil War, World War I, Prohibition, World War II, the Dust Bowl, McCarthyism, the Cold War, the Challenger disaster, Operation Desert Storm, 9/11 and countless struggles before and since. But history also contains triumphs, from ending slavery to the moon landing to the fall of the Berlin Wall to Mars rover Curiosity. Join in discussion on these and more with historians, collectors, authors, professors and conspiracy theorists alike. Our hosts also show much support for our troops and military families. In fact, technology has played a big part in bringing soldiers closer to home, as they text, email and Skype from the front, and our â€œtalk to the troopsâ€ episodes are always inspiring.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (156 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (75 chatters)
- John Baptist (63 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (18 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (17 chatters)
- ParanormalPsychicRadio (16 chatters)
- Dr Pat Holliday (15 chatters)
- Allfaaraa Live (13 chatters)
- thelordshour (12 chatters)
- CRYPTOLOGIC (11 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (11 chatters)
- The Psychic Viewpoint (10 chatters)
- TheInfiniteSupernaturalNetwork (10 chatters)
- Tarhaka (8 chatters)
- LetsGetMetaphysical (8 chatters)
- AlimBey (8 chatters)
- Finding Relisha Rudd Show (7 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (7 chatters)
- World Wide Resistance Radio (7 chatters)
- ILLUMINATION (6 chatters)
- Know It All ABCs of Education (6 chatters)
- Bill Murray (5 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (5 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (5 chatters)
- Welcome to Proper Manors USA (4 chatters)
- The Sensuous Mystic Sex Spirit (4 chatters)
- Living Well Talk Radio (4 chatters)
- Spoken Ink (4 chatters)
- Root Cause Radio (3 chatters)
- The Hereafter Is Now Network (3 chatters)
- The Phantom Zone Radio Show (3 chatters)
- MMA Jam Live (3 chatters)
- Patriot Family (3 chatters)
- NewMusicInferno (3 chatters)
- Prayer Warriors 365 (3 chatters)
- Prophecy at the Midnight Hour (3 chatters)
- dburt aka Afronerd (3 chatters)
- Dr Roger Conley (3 chatters)
- The Truth Is Out There0 (3 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (2 chatters)
- The Superior Must Awaken (2 chatters)
- Sipping On Ink (2 chatters)
- TWR Radio (2 chatters)
- Get It Out Radio (2 chatters)
- Dirtyredz (2 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (2 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (2 chatters)
- Conservative Nation Radio (2 chatters)
- Body of Christ (2 chatters)
- Asylum Fantasy Football Podcast (2 chatters)
- Barry Secrest (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- Larcher and Lorensen (2 chatters)
- Seed Dropper Nation (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- sun752 (1 chatters)
- Seekers Intercessors Chamber (1 chatters)
- Really Doe Radio (1 chatters)
- The Red Room Radio (1 chatters)
- Tarvino (1 chatters)
- The ANSWERS Show (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- LETS SPEAK (1 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Madden Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- Prepping For The New World Order (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- BDSIR NETWORK (1 chatters)
- Attention Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- AmericanMuslim360 (1 chatters)
- Acts 1711 Radio Network (1 chatters)
- ADVIA (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (1 chatters)
- CyndieLepori (1 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (1 chatters)
- Innovative Black Men (1 chatters)
- Home Court Sports (1 chatters)
- IB Wise Raising The Roof Radio (1 chatters)
- Dimensions of Quantum (1 chatters)
- Godney (1 chatters)
- Thoughts of a Brother (1 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (1 chatters)
- Wicce Women (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)