Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.


  • Broadcast in Social Networking
Denzel Musumba

Denzel Musumba


Follow This Show

If you liked this show, you should follow Denzel Musumba.
Guinea’s veteran opposition politician Alpha Conde was declared the winner of the presidential election yesterday, as losing candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo called for calm after deadly clashes. News of Mr Conde’s victory came after a tense day in which violent clashes left at least one person dead and several wounded, and allegations of election fraud from Diallo. The 72-year-old Conde won 52.52 per cent of the votes in the run-off election against former prime minister Diallo, who garnered 47.48 per cent, the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) announced late Monday. It reported a 67 per cent turnout. Today, fresh violence flared in Guinea. Isolated clashes on Tuesday saw one man killed in the capital Conakry and another in the centre of the country. “This morning in Conakry in the Simbya district a man was killed by a soldier. There was a dispute between them, the man tried to escape and the soldier shot him in the neck,” said a police source. In Pita in central Guinea one man was killed and 14 injured when supporters of Diallo looted two houses and a neighbour belonging to the rival camp opened fire on them, a Red Cross source said. Mr Diallo has insisted he would not accept the election results before the investigation of “massive fraud at all levels.” But he called on his supporters to “remain calm, avoid provocation and violence of any nature.” He would prove to the Supreme Court that the vote was “riddled with irregularities and fraud,” he said. “If it agrees to objectively examine our claims, I hope to be rightfully declared the winner,” Mr Diallo added. The Supreme Court has to confirm the election results. Violence flared earlier in the day in Mr Diallo’s strongholds in the capital, as his supporters clashed with security forces, leaving at least one dead and dozens injured according to a police source.