Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.


  • Broadcast in Social Networking
Denzel Musumba

Denzel Musumba


Follow This Show

If you liked this show, you should follow Denzel Musumba.
The Hague has been denied access to minutes of a meeting said to have been held at State House at the height of the post-election violence, according to Daily Nation sources. The sources, who are familiar with the work of the International Criminal Court in Kenya but who could not be named because of the confidentiality of their work, said the government had declined to make available any information regarding the meeting the Waki Commission claimed was attended by key people in government at the time. The sources also said that prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo is focusing his investigations on two hotspots, Naivasha and Eldoret, and the the cases he expects to file at the Hague will be based on those two areas. On Monday, Lands minister James Orengo said the Cabinet committee which deals with ICC matters was set to meet a team from The Hague on Wednesday. Mr Orengo said the ICC should not be denied access to any information since the government had agreed to fully cooperate with it. “We agreed that we will fully cooperate with the ICC. The Cabinet committee will meet tomorrow to know what is happening,” he said on phone from Mombasa. On Monday, the government maintained that no such meeting took place and therefore the question of minutes does not arise. “There was never such a meeting as stated in the Waki Commission (report). It was manufactured and somebody really must have lied to them. We have always said there was no meeting and therefore there can’t be minutes,” government spokesman Alfred Mutua told the Nation. The government has also declined to the ICC the minutes of high-level security meetings that held at the peak of the violence in which 1,133 people were killed and more than 650,000 evicted from their farms. The Waki Commission report indicated that the violence in Naivasha between January 27 and 30 was pre-planned and executed by Mungiki members who received the support of political and business leaders.