Call in to speak with the host
Neil Krishan Aggarwal, MD, MBA, MA, Columbia University Medical Center, Assistant professor of clinical psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Research Psychiatrist.
Ravi DeSilva, Associate Director, Inpatient Psychiatry Unit, Milstein Hospital. Instructor in Psychiatry at CUMC
This talk will focus on the following topics:
1) What is cultural psychiatry and what role does the Center of Excellence in Cultural Competence at NYSPI have in its study
2) What role does culture have in psychiatry and diagnosis, and what do we know about this intersection
3) What is the cultural formulation interview (CFI), why and how was it developed for APA in DSM 5, and what role did our team lead by Dr. Roberto Lewis Fernandez at the Center of Excellence in Cultural Competence at NYSPI play in its developement
4) How does the CFI improve a mental health provider's ability to know their patients as people and how is this improtant for consumers and how have consumers responded to the CFI.
5) What are our future directions for the study of cultural psychiatry, the CFI and increasing the use and teaching of the CF
For more information on the Center of Excellence for Cultural Competence please go to http://nyculturalcompetence.org/
For information on the participating in a research study at the Hispanic Treatment Center please go to http://www.hispanictreatmentatcolumbia.org/
Sorry we couldn't complete your registration. Please try again.
Please enter your email to finish creating your account.
Receive a personalized list of podcasts based on your preferences.