Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.

SS Yarmouth Castle disastrous fire in 1965 the true Story by Winston Drysdale

  • Broadcast in Music
Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio

Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio


Follow This Show

If you liked this show, you should follow Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio.

When the fire spread from room 6A, no sprinklers activated and no fire alarms went off. The crew found out the ship was on fire when a passenger ran screaming up a stairway, his clothes smoldering, and collapsed. Other passengers learned of the danger by hearing shouting and commotion in the hallways. It was the middle of the night. They had never been informed of safety protocols. A general panic ensued, with people bolting out of their rooms and running screaming through the corridors. A young Jamaican Winston Drysdale  was  one of the crew members and helped to rescue may of the passengers . He was hailed as a hero . He also feared  for his life because in his mind this was just not an ordinary accidental fire. He believe that the real and true story is yet to be told . Now 74 years he is ready to talkabout what he thinks happened on the illfaithed SS Yarmouth Castle.

Passengers trapped in their rooms by the smoke and flames . Some broke portholes and windows and leaped into the sea. Those  were only 4 life boat activated becused most of them were burned up. The captin was the first to leave the ship..that meant he abanded the ship. He did not announce that the ship was on fire neither did he call for the life boats to be activated. They is much more to the story said mr. Drysdale. More to come...

She was built in 1927 by the William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company in Philadelphia. She was christened Evangeline. The ship was 365 feet long and measured 5,002 gross tons. Her sister ship,Yarmouth, was launched the same year..Yarmouth Castle departed Miami for Nassau on November 12, 1965, with 376 passengers and 176 crewmen aboard, a total of 552 people. The ship was due to arrive in Nassau the next day. The captain on the voyage was 35-year-old Byron Voutsinas.email caribbeanradioshow@gmail.com